At 24, Thomas won the award “Instrumental soloist revelation of the year” at the French Victoires de la Musique Classique in 2012. He became the first tubist to have ever won this award in the history of the Victoires de la Musique Classique.
Thomas is an unconventional artist at the crossroads of genres and is one of the few tubist in the world to be leading a soloist career only.
The world star of the tubaFrédéric Taddéï, Europe 1
A classical soloist, passionate about world music, contemporary music and Pop, this “absolute tuba genius (La Nouvelle République), recognised by his peers, already has an impressive career. In his hands, the tuba reveals all of its richness, its fineness, its complexity, a range that can seem undless to finally find a new youth. A real prodigy, shows a surprising musicality and agility, dusting off the traditional image of the tuba. He has at heart to declutter classical and contemporary music. His style eclecticism and his uninhibited approach to concerts make him the ideal ambassador for his instrument.”
The gifted child of the tubaLa Croix
The tuba has found its Paganini! Just as Jean-Pierre Rampal made the flute popular and Maurice André the trumpet, Thomas Leleu is currently the best representative of the tuba.Frédéric Lodéon
At 17, he started to study at the Conservatoire National Supérieur de Musique et de Danse in Paris. He studied the tuba with Gérard Buquet and chamber music with Jens Mc Manama and graduated three years later with the first prize. In 2006, he studied at the Hochschule für Musik in Detmold, Germany, with Hans Nickel. He is the winner of prestigious international competitions such as Markneukirchen (Germany), Jéju (South Korea) and Luxemburg.
Aged 19, Thomas was appointed Solo Tuba of the Marseille Philharmonic Orchestra, where he stayed 10 years.
In 2012, aged 24 ans, Thomas made the tuba triumph by winning the award “Instrumental soloist revelation of the year” at the French Victoires de la Musique Classique
In 2018, he is ZDF / Arte « Stars von Morgen » invited in Berlin by Rolando Villazon.
The best representative of the tubaFrance 3
He performs as a soloist in numerous locations and prestigious festivals around the world.
- Konzerthaus Berlin (Germany)
- Festspiele Mecklenburg-Vorpommern (Germany)
- Mito Festival (Italy)
- Kissinger Sommer de Bad Kissingen (Germany)
- Brandenburgische SommerKonzerte (Germany)
- Festival de Radio France-Occitanie-Montpellier (France)
- Les Flâneries Musicales de Reims (France)
- Un Violon sur le Sable (France)
- Théâtre des Champs Elysées (France)
- Salle Gaveau (France)
- Théâtre du Châtelet (France)
- Maison de Radio France (France)
- Palais des Congrès de Paris (France)
- Festival de Sully et du Loiret (France)
- Grand Théâtre de Provence (France)
- Eastman School University (USA)
- New England Conservatory (USA)
- Brucknerhaus Linz (Austria)
- Saison des Invalides (France)
- Corum de Montpellier (France)
- Linz International Brass Festival (Austria)
- Pristina International Festival (Kosovo)
- « Les concerts de l’Improbable » et « La nuit d l’improvisation » avec Jean-François Zygel (France)
- Les concerts de poche (France)
- Les Estivales de Musique en Médoc (France)
- Les Escapades Musicales (France)
- Festival du Vigan (France)
- Théâtre Impérial de Compiègne (France)
- Floréal Musical d’Epinal (France)
- Format Raisin (France)
- In the countries : China, Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, USA, Venezuela, Argentina, Brazil, Germany, Austria, Italy, Spain, Belgium, Poland, Egypt, Kosovo, Morocco…
He regularly performs as a soloist with orchestra, such as with:
- l’Orchestre National d’Ile de France (France)
- Junge Sinfonie Berlin (Germany)
- l’Orchestre de Chambre de Paris (France)
- Jeju Symphonic Orchestra (South Korea)
- l’Orchestre Philharmonique de l’Opéra de Marseille (France)
- l’Orchestre d’Avignon Provence-OLRAP (France)
- l’Orchestre de Douai région Nord-pas-de-Calais (France)
- l’Orchestre Symphonique de Lara (Venezuela)
- l’Orchestre Royal des Forces Aériennes Belges (Belgium)
- Santa Fe Symphonic Orchestra (Argentina)
- l’Orchestre de la Police Nationale (France)
- l’Orchestre de la Musique de l’Air de Paris (France)…
Thomas is regularly invited to take part in radio and TV shows, on France 2, France 3, Europe 1, Paris Première, Radio Classique, France Inter, Bayerische Rundfunk (Germany), Arte, France Musique, Kosovo National TV, Radio National de Argentina, France Bleu, Fip…
In 2015, his album « In the mood for tuba » (Fondamenta/Sony Music) was well received by the critics and the audience. In 2017 the recording of « Impressions for tuba » composed by André Waignien and recorded with the Orchestre Royal des Forces Aériennes Belges was released.
Attracted to contemporary music, numerous composers have dedicated pieces to him, such as Richard Galliano (creation of Fables of Tuba – Victoire de la Musique Classique 2014), Vladimir Cosma, Claude Bolling, J. Ph. Vanbeselaere, but also Marc Steckar, André Waignien, Dominique Probst… He also created « Convergences » by J. Ph. Vanbeselaere, for solo tuba, contemporary music trio (guitar, bass guitar, drums) and symphonic orchestra.
Thomas also frequently gives master classes in France and abroad : Hochschule Für Musik Hanns Heisler Berlin, Universität der Künste Berlin, Hochschule für Musik Stuttgart, Hochshule für Musik Würzburg, Conservatoire National Supérieur de Musique de Paris (CNSM), New England Conservatory de Boston, Tokyo Music College, Montclair State University, New York, Eastman School of Music de Rochester, Osaka Music College, Oklahoma State University, Beijing Central Conservatory, Korea National University, Conservatoire de Barquisimeto (Venezuela), in many French conservatories but also in Belgium, Italy, Brazil, Argentina, China, South Korea, Taiwan etc…
Always looking to innovate, he founded several unique and unprecedented tuba ensembles such as the “Thomas Leleu Sextet” (tuba and string quintet), “tubaVScello” (tuba and cello) and his original show “The Tuba’s Trip” staged by Claude Tissier, coproduced by the Opéra de Marseille. In 2018, he created the “Thomas Leleu Trio” (tuba, vibraphone and piano).
In 2019, he will play again at the Festspiele Mecklenburg Vorpommern (Germany), but also in China, in Japan, Taiwan, Singapore, Hong Kong with the Hong Kong Sinfonietta, Germany, France, Brazil, Mexico…
Since 2011, he is “MELTON MEINL/ WESTON ARTIST – ENDORSER BUFFET CRAMPON“ and set up with the prestigious company the tuba 2250 TL “ French Touch ” , which he is currently playing.